Safeguard Your Assets and Your Loved Ones Through Strategic Estate Planning
End-of-life planning is a necessity that most Americans would rather avoid. According to recent studies, most Americans say they need a will, but nearly half of Americans over the age of 55 don’t have one and only 18% of Americans have all the fundamentals of a solid estate plan. But the benefits of having an estate plan clearly outweigh the discomfort of making one: You get to decide what happens to you and your assets upon your illness or death, and you can structure your gifts in a way that reduces the legal cost to your loved ones and increases the value of your gifts. If you’re still hesitant about estate planning, you should know that with the help of a good attorney, the process is far faster and easier than most people would assume. In Suffolk County, you can find the right attorney for your estate law needs by contacting The Law Office of John J. Leonard.
Comprehensive Estate Planning and Elder Law Services
Our firm is ready to help you with all aspects of your estate plan. We can also address other elder law issues that will safeguard your finances and your quality of life in your later years. Let us help you create the following documents and legal instruments:
- A will
- One or more trusts
- An advance health care directive (allowing you to specify medical treatment wishes if you ever become incapacitated and are unable to make or communicate those directions yourself)
- Special needs planning for a loved one with physical or cognitive limitations that don’t allow for complete autonomy
- Medicaid planning (to qualify for Medicaid without entirely exhausting your estate assets)
- Legacy charitable donations to causes that are important to you
Many of these documents are straightforward and quick to complete with our firm’s help. And although some forms can be found for free online, they are not customizable to your estate, which is crucial. Moreover, the costs of mistakes and omissions can be far greater than the money you’d save by not hiring an attorney. Therefore, working with an attorney is the wisest choice.
Surrogate’s Court Matters and Estate Litigation
In New York, surrogate’s courts are the legal venues that handle estate administration, will probate matters and similar proceedings. If you are a representative of the estate, our firm is ready to provide counsel and representation in business before the surrogate’s court, including:
- Probate petitions
- Lost will hearings
- Petitions for letters of administration
- Kinship litigation
- Guardianship petitions (when necessary)
We also have the experience to vigorously represent your interests in estate litigation, including:
- Will contests or trust contests
- Surviving spousal litigation
- Breach of fiduciary duty
- Removal of a fiduciary or challenge of accountings
- Claims against the estate brought by creditors or similar parties
Nearly all estate legal proceedings are financed with estate funds. We strive to be as efficient as possible in order to minimize costs and maximize the assets that heirs and beneficiaries are entitled to receive.
Reach Out Today For Skilled Legal Guidance
The Law Office of John J. Leonard is based in Hampton Bays, and we proudly serve clients on Long Island and throughout Suffolk County. To arrange an initial consultation with an attorney who cares about your legal matter as much as you do, call us at 888-367-0445 or reach us online.